Sunday, April 25, 2010

Schedule Task Problem ???

I've been trying to schedule backup but it's not starting at all.



I've tried 2 different task, such as opening an Excel %26amp; tha's failed as well. This most likely shows that it's not just the "Backup %26amp; Restore", but "Schedule Task" itself is causing the problem.



In terms of backup, I'm using Windows XP's Backup %26amp; Restore, which I'm using a very first time, I've tried both the "Incremental" and "Normal" but it's still not starting at all.



Backup %26amp; Restore works successfully, if done "now", rather than "schedule" to run later or "daily".



When checking the "Scheduled Tasks" folder (in Windows), it shows in Status as "could not start" and last result as "0x0"



While finding out what's causing the problem, I came across: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308558



It shows "0x0" as "operation completed successfully", however, that's not the case. This is confusing.



Schedule Task Problem ???windows explorer



The backup task will only operate if you have specified your start up password. Do you have a password that you have to enter when you start up XP? If not then this is the cause of the problem. Set up a password (using Control Panel, User Accounts) and then enter the password when you schedule the backup task.



J4mes - do you want the backup to run while you are there and watching it - or, perhaps, at some other time so that it doesn't interfere with what you are doing? If you want it to run at some other time (e.g. wake up from sleep mode in the middle of the night and perform the backup - which is what I have my PC set to do) then you MUST specify your XP start up password for it to run. This means that if you don't currently have an XP start up password then you need to set one up.



I'll paste the XP help paragraph in the source below in case that helps.



J4mes - to answer your latest question, I think the answer is 'no'. I haven't seen any option to tell the scheduler to start a task the next time the computer is switched on. Last night my PC rebooted itself before my nightly backup task started and the task certainly did not start when I logged on this morning. It works for your anti-virus software as it is probably managing its own schedule.



Schedule Task Problem ???microsoft zune internet explorer



For adding a task in scheduled tasks just make your work as a batch file and add it into the scheduled task list. look into windows help for making commandline syntax for ntbackup tool. And try manually if it's working you can start. Also check the pc is powered on while the scheduled time occurs.



First make the simple tasks to run then you can learn easily about the scheduled tasks. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment