Sunday, April 25, 2010

What is accessing my external harddrive?

My computer was on the fritz, the power brick died and it took forever to get a new one. After I got it, I was forced to recover it by using a batch file containing the first set of commands (regcopy1.txt ONLY) here:



http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545



After that, I got everything back to the way it was before my computer died. I restored my users, fixed the drivers, and reinstalled things like flash and the .net framework.



But when I plug my USB external harddrive in (WD BOOK thing), the activity light constantly flashes. Something, for some reason, is accesing my external HDD. I've run virus checks and the like, and my computer SHOULD already have the drivers it needs, so what's going on?



What is reading or writing to my drive? Anyone have any clue? Oh, and no, I DO NOT HAVE INDEXING TURNED ON. I put that in all caps so I'd be sure you could see it. I wasn't yelling...



Anyway, any thought anyone any any any?



What is accessing my external harddrive?windows mail



Every device is different. Some flash, some don't. Now the BIG question... Did your WD Book flash before? Hey, does it work as a drive?



If all you did was to replace the power supply, it's probably nothing. I would only be concerned if that new power supply is NO GOOD.



Good luck and Happy Computing!

No comments:

Post a Comment